Blog Picture

Blog Picture

Friday, August 30, 2013

Mornings Lately


Mornings around here have been pleasant since school started.  I love having two shifts in the morning:

SHIFT #1: Wake Madeline and Kensington up at 6:15 a.m.  Listen to Choobies say yet again, "Mom, I don't want to go to school today."  Give her a big hug and say, "I know.  That's what you say every morning," and then help her pick out an outfit.  It's always a skirt.  She refuses to wear shorts or pants.  Since when did she care what she wears?

Madeline begins talk-talk-talking a mile a minute in her happy chatter while Kensington mopes sluggishly around, squeezing in a moment or two to set up her Squinkies or cuddle with "Koaly" and "Tankie" until she can come home again.  Madeline helps everyone with making lunches while I put the oatmeal on the stove.  

Dallas hops in the shower, and I fix two heads of hair.  Madeline gets her hair flat-ironed if it's Day #1 after washing it.  If not, it goes into a ponytail, especially if she has P.E.  Kensington wants either a ponytail, side ponytail, or braids.  And she always wears a big ribbon in her hair.  I've got to put ribbons in her hair as long as she'll let me.  Madeline and Raleigh have both grown out of it although I hear there's been a ribbon revival over at the Middle School lately.

I wake up Raleigh in time for family prayer, and if they're lucky, they get a quick bite to eat if they haven't dawdled.  My dream is to have family breakfast/prayer/scripture study at 6:40 a.m., but we're not quite there yet getting everyone ready on time.

There is always a hurry to get out the door on time.  Lots of hugs and kisses.  Kensington's backpack is bigger than she is, and Madeline's hands are always full of extra things she's taking to school (because she gets really into everything).  

Dallas drives the girls to the bus stop, and then he comes back in to finish getting ready.  Raleigh hangs out on the bathroom counter while he shaves and fixes his hair to have precious one-on-one chat-time with her dad.  Meanwhile, I clean up the first storm of the day in the kitchen and prod Raleigh to "get going."  She flits from one thing to the next, trying to remember everything.  Dallas is out the door by 7:30 a.m., and then begins . . . 

SHIFT #2: I continue to remind Raleigh everything she needs to do.  I know I really need to stop that, but the girl is seriously spacey!  She eats breakfast, makes her lunch, makes her bed, prays, brushes her teeth, catches up on homework, practices violin, and plays with Emery.  I continue to clean up, help Raleigh with her hair, and enjoy the quiet with my oldest and youngest.

Raleigh has been so diligent with her homework and practicing . . . it amazes me.  It is such a contrast from the all the teeth-pulling we had to do last year.  She's really catching on to the violin, and the past few mornings, Emery has been standing next to Raleigh while she practices, singing "Old MacDonald Had a Farm," no matter what song Raleigh is playing.

It's precious.  I love watching the look on Raleigh's face when she thinks Emery is so cute.  I tell her, "Raleigh, YOU used to be just as cute as Emery when you were that age."  She was.  They all were.


Before we know it, 8:10 a.m. has arrived, and Raleigh grabs all of her things in a hurry to run out to the bus stop.  She always forgets to give me a kiss, so I always call her back.  You can't leave this house without a kiss and a hug!  We wave at the door until we can't see Raleigh anymore. 

Then comes the really quiet quiet.  Emery is a peaceful little soul who is happy doing almost anything, so we have some pretty nice mornings.  She loves to help out, so we usually begin cleaning, cooking, and doing laundry right away.  I love a good head start on the day.

Emery's Washcloth Pile
Until the next day comes . . . 


1 comment:

  1. i love the two different schedules! It sounds like everyone is enjoying their new routine (except for Kensington first thing in the morning).

    Emery does a great job of folding the dish rags, but it looks like you might need a few new ones! In my spare time, I will try to finish a few for you!

    Love you all!!

    ReplyDelete